jython example program

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Sun Oct 13 12:53:25 EDT 2002

Dan Stromberg <strombrg at nis.acs.uci.edu> writes:
> To my dismay, I just discovered that, although this works with netscape 7
> on redhat 8, it has problems with internet explorer on windows 2000 as
> well as netscape 6.2.x on windows 2000.
>
> Strangely, windows 2000, with both browsers, is actually changing the
> html to comment out the applet stuff in a "view/source".  On redhat 8,
> "view/source" looks just like what I have on my hard disk.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  Why might a browser do such a silly thing?
> Or more importantly, how do I make it cut it out?

I suspect that some program comments out applet tags to protect you
from running possibly-malicious Java applets.  Perhaps the operating
system does this, but I don't recall W2K doing anything like that to
me back when I used it.  Perhaps some other program, though --- a
virus scanner, a firewall, Gator-like scumware?