[Python-Dev] PEP239 (Rational Numbers) Reference Implementation and new issues

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Oct 4 05:12:34 EDT 2002

Greg Ewing <see_reply_address at something.invalid> writes:

> My own faded memory says: L'Hopital's Rule. Differentiate top
> and bottom and take the limit of that instead. Repeat until
> top and bottom don't both go to 0.

That's about right.  You need some assumptions about the functions
involved.  An obvious one: they have to be differentiable.  I wonder
if they have to be analytic?  Probably not.

> There's no doubt some terribly good reason why this works,
>
> but I can't remember it, if I ever knew...

Doesn't just need expanding both functions as a power series around
the limit point work?  (I guess you do need analyticity for this...)

Cheers,
M.
Who IS a mathematician, but IS NOT an analyst...

--
  All programs evolve until they can send email.      -- Richard Letts
  Except Microsoft Exchange.                                    -- Art