building 2.2.2, g++ Dec Unix 4.0G

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 22 12:36:03 EDT 2002

dave at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Dave Rasmussen) writes:

> I was wondering if anyone else has built python on DEC Alpha boxes and had
> a fix for me below. We have a 1.5* version here. I don't know python but my
> site wanted to try mailman. I have this icky feeling that our g++ probably
> also needs updating.

My suspicion is that your gcc installation does not belong to the
operating system you are using. gcc uses a procedure called "fixinc"
to correct errors in system headers. Every time the system headers
change (e.g. if the operating system is updated), fixinc needs to be
re-run. This is best done by installing gcc again, as other
configuration details may have changed as well.

>   In file included from
>   /usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d/2.8.1/inc
>   lude/pthread.h:333,
>    from Python/thread_pthread.h:9,
>     from Python/thread.c:113:
>     /usr/include/c_asm.h:190: parse error

That's an error in a system header, which was merely triggered by
Python including <pthread.h>. There is nothing inherently wrong in
including <pthread.h>, nor is there any alternative to including it
(apart from not using threads).

So it is either that gcc 2.8.1 cannot cooperate with the pthreads
library on OSF 4.0D, or you are not using OSF 4.0D.

If the former, you have two options:
a) update to gcc 2.95.2 or 3.2;
b) disable threads at configure time (--without-threads, you can try
   --with-dec-threads as well).

If the latter, you have, again, two options:
a) reinstall gcc (might chose to upgrade to a newer version),
b) avoid using gcc; use the system compiler instead (--without-gcc).

HTH,
Martin