Internationalization bug?? [Python 2.2.1, RedHat 8.0, Swedish]

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 13 15:34:31 EDT 2002

urban.anjar at hik.se (Urban Anjar) writes:

> I still think this should be built-in in any way. I don't want
> to think about how things are coded internaly when doing Python
> programming, than I could chose C or assembler or something like
> that... I want to be able to tell kids 'n students that Python is
> easy and straightforward even for Swedish people...

It is easy and straightforward even for Swedish people; it is more
difficult for the Japanese.

Swedes can get away with using ISO-8859-1; you are making your life
more difficult by using UTF-8.

As I said before: It can't be both backwards compatible and easy. If
you cannot accept that, use assembler :-( Or, perhaps, use Windows;
it is easier than Unix in this respect also.

Regards,
Martin