Python, CORBA, and Borland Java interop?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at
Fri Oct 11 11:38:25 CEST 2002

Dave Benjamin wrote:
> [description of feature incompatibility between python and java impls elided]
> Does anyone know of a possible solution (open source or commercial) to
> this Python->Java interoperability issue?

I have never met a python/java problem that jython couldn't solve. Have
you considered jython, which is python implemented in java?

The boundaries between java classes and jython classes are completely
seamless. To inherit into jython from a java class is simplicity itself,
just use the java class as you would a jython class.

So, presumably your IDL compiler is generating client stubs and server
skeleton in Java? Simply use the java client stubs directly in jython:
there should be no integration work or extra development work necessary.

Jython is very likely to be the perfect solution to your problem, if the
JVM start-up time and memory requirements on the client side are not a

> The ability to do this would be a major asset to the company, as it
> would free us to develop web front-ends in our language of choice! Any
> help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm perplexed by this statement. What can python do in this regard that
java cannot?

alan kennedy
check http headers here:
email alan: