redhat8

Suchandra Thapa ssthapa at classes.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 1 15:33:16 EDT 2002

Mark Charsley <mark.charsley at REMOVE_THIS.radioscape.com> wrote:
> Have they got a link called python_2_2_1 which is used in all their system
> configuration scripts, or are we going to be in analogous situation in a
> couple of years time, cursing Redhat because upgrading to python 2.4
> breaks their system scripts?

    I'm not sure that will work since Redhat maintains binary compatibility
between the .x releases. E.g. if you have an application that installs some
python libraries and then uses them from a script for Redhat 8.0, the same
application will work on any 8.x releases.  So I guess if future versions
of python don't break source or binary compability then Redhat will be able to
upgrade python.  If not then, I guess RedHat will be using python 2.2.x for
the next year and a half or so.