Is there a "reset" in Idle?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Fri Oct 11 10:00:47 EDT 2002

Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> [2002-10-11 13:17 GMT]:
> JXStern <JXSternChangeX2R at gte.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 22:20:19 -0500, Anna <revanna at mn.rr.com> wrote:
>>>Here's a link to the most relevant, clear article on the topic, imho.
>>>
>>>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3B2129AC.90BA8650%40home.net
>>>
>>>Hope this helps. If I've misunderstood your question, my apologies.
>>
>>That whole thread seems right on target, ... but the answer still
>>seems to be no.
>>

> This, perhaps, is the biggest single issue for the continued
> use of Python in our company.
>
> I have a recurring battle with my co-director about Python's
> lack of a business-quality development environment. The problem
> that IDLE and PythonWin can neither offer reliable interactive
> debugging is seen by some as reason to ditch the lanuage.

I personally find debugging with a debugger very inefficient in most cases.

> I've got used to it, resorting to interactive debugging only as
> a last resort - and restart PythonWin after each run.

I'm using gvim, python.exe, PyUnit and the reference
implementation of the new logging system in PEP 0282, which work
very well and very efficiently. But then again, I'm currently
only doing backend stuff and writing a few network servers. Maybe
you're using Python in a domain where debuggers make more sense.

> But he compares this to Visual Studio's slick interface and
> finds Python wanting.

You know, there are excellent IDEs with excellent debugging
support (even remote debugging, and debugging of ZOPE) you can
BUY: WingIDE.

> If I had any influence in the development of Python as a whole,

You do - the Sourceforge patches (and bugs) section are open, as
is python-dev.

> I'd urge the developers to divert their attention away from
> sexy new language features and concentrate for a couple of
> releases on addressing shortcomings that shag the IDEs.

Webster doesn't know 'shag', so I'm not sure I understand that
paragraph. I also didn't follow this thread. Are there any
shortcomings in the Python interpreter that make using it from
IDEs difficult _in general_, not only shortcomings of Open Source
IDEs?

-- Gerhard