realtime design

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Sun Oct 13 13:06:17 EDT 2002

"James J. Besemer" <jb at cascade-sys.com> writes:
> I feel Python is eminently suitable for many real time applications.
> It only begins to break down in those circumstances where the real
> time constraints are very tight.  Even then, C modules can be written
> to handle some of the time-critical functions.  Only on the high-end
> of real time performance would I say that Python is probably not the
> right choice.

Different people mean different things by "real time", as you pointed
out.  For your meaning of "real time", I agree with you.  But for
another meaning of "real time" --- "guaranteed worst-case response
time" --- I don't think Python is suitable, because a programmer
cannot correctly calculate a worst-case response time for any but the
smallest Python programs.