Searching Python Manuals

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 16:23:07 EDT 2002

Matt Gerrans wrote:

> These files look interesting... do you read them with 'more' or is there a
> more sophisticated method?  (and I don't mean 'less'!  ;-)

[snip]

>> http://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/2.2/info-2.2.tgz
>>
>> alex

You read them with 'info', an old GNU project hypertext system. I personally
can't stand the info navigation key conventions, but the little 'pinfo'
reader is fabulous. It has much nicer keyboard navigation than info, it color
highlights nodes and links, and it even does man pages (in fact, my 'man'
command is in fact an alias to 'pinfo -c -s -m', it's that much better).

Cheers,

f.