shared memory module bugs?

Jeff Davis jdavis at empires.org
Tue Oct 8 04:07:48 EDT 2002

Appearently, the python standard library doesn't have a shared memory
module. However, someone did write one:

http://mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/omr/omi/source/shm_source/shmmodule.c

Anyway, that implementation seems buggy. When you first try to do something
to the memory, if throws an error. However, upon repeating the same
operation it succeeds. For example

$ python
Python 2.2.1 (#2, Sep 13 2002, 23:25:07)
[GCC 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)] on linux2
>>> import shm
>>> m = shm.create_memory(0x55443322,100)
>>> m.attach()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
shm.error: can't access shared memory segment
>>> m.attach()

I would like to make a working shared memory module. I could probably make
the current version work better by patching it.

My question is: is anyone actively working on the module? It appears to
have last been updated in 2000, and doesn't really have a project page. Or
are there any other such modules in existence? If I did patch it to make
it work, or make my own, would someone be interested in using it?

Regards,
        Jeff Davis