Is the word "Python" copyrighted/trademarked?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Wed Oct 2 00:41:13 EDT 2002

The counter argument could be made that since Python has been used so many
times in referece to the language without a trademark assertion ("(TM)" or
"(R)" since it's actually registered), that it's no longer defensible. Beyer
lost "Asperin" that way and Milton-Bradley lost "Monopoly" (essentially, the
whole game). Xerox has taken pains to avoid having "xerox" become a common
term for 'xerograpic reproduction' their preferred term.

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA