Decimal arithmatic, was Re: Python GUI app to impress the boss?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Oct 1 12:44:17 EDT 2002

In article <3D99C005.7010508 at kyborg.dk>, Kim Petersen wrote:

>>>The system a previous company wrote said that "if they've bought 3
>>>40p items these give them a discount of 20p".
>>
>> But, standard practice around here is that the "3 for a dollar"
>> price is good on quantities of less than three.  (IOW the unit
>> price is 1/3 dollar).  I have seen instances where you have to
>> buy 3 to get the discount but IME that's rare.
>
> (assuming IME is In My Environment)

I was thinking in my experience, but either works. :)

> might be - but around here - All shops (with possible
> exceptions (i've never seen it)) sell only (multiple)
> quantities of 3 at the discount *even* if 2 will sell at a
> higher price....

I have vague memories of that practice here in the US back in
pre-UPC scanner days when prices were entered by the clerks
manually.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I had a lease on an
                                  at               OEDIPUS COMPLEX back in