Why is Python a good first scripting language?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Oct 21 09:41:38 EDT 2002

news at agapow.net (Paul-Michael Agapow) wrote:
> Ruby is cool and solid, but the developer community is still
> small. It's at the point where Python was 3 or 4 years ago.

I find it fascinating that people who know neither Python nor Ruby seem
th think Ruby is the cooler language.

We've got one hot-shot C++/Java guy here who refuses to even try Python
because he can't get his head past the indentation issue and because
Python's flavor of OO doesn't match his conception of what OO should be.
But, he keeps saying things like, "If I were to learn a scripting
language, I'd learn Ruby".

At the other end of the spectrum, we had another guy here who only
qualified to be called a programmer because he rode the dot-com craze
where anybody who could get a 20-line Perl script to run was called a
programmer.  He also knew neither Ruby or Python, but insisted that Ruby
was the way to go, even if his analysis was no deeper technically than
"Python blows, Ruby rules".

If Perl is to Python as Windows is to Macintosh, then I guess Python is
to Ruby as Macintosh is to BeOS :-)