ipython keybinding

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 22 16:11:36 EDT 2002

    Fernando> I couldn't do it. Tried a lot, never got it to work. But
    Fernando> if someone can figure it out, I'll be glad to fix it for
    Fernando> a future release. That's how I use my normal shell and
    Fernando> would love to set the same thing in ipython, but I
    Fernando> wasn't able to fix this.

Yep, perusing /usr/X11R6/include/X11/keysymdef.h led me to I try
(without success).

readline_parse_and_bind "XK_Up": history-search-backward
readline_parse_and_bind "Up": history-search-backward
readline_parse_and_bind "0xFF52": history-search-backward

In the meantime, I'll just get used to C-p

    Fernando> Let me know if this works ok for you.

I tried the emacs configs and they did indeed work.  The default
colors for frame-background-mode 'dark don't work so well for me ( I
use color-theme gnome2 which has a darkslategray background).  But I
think for now I'll just run ipython in the shell -- it works great
there, and I bound EDITOR a shell script that runs

  emacs -q -nw -l ~/.emacs.minimal.el $1

which contains the minimal configs for xterm font locking and
essential mode configs, without all the overhead of my 1400 line
.emacs file with 300+ buffers to load.

Thanks for a much welcomed and extremely useful package,
John Hunter