Reports, PDF, and grid widget for Python?

Don Dwiggins dond at advancedmp.com
Mon Oct 21 21:36:41 EDT 2002

Al Canton writes:
> Nothing is ever simple. I've been doing business application design and
> programming for thirty years now. And while I don't know everything, nor do I
> even know a lot of anything, I do know that the very first sentence in this
> paragraph is true!

Exactly; for example:

> As for reporting needs, I don't want to pay a guy $60 an hour for 24 hours
> times 50 reports to do down-and-dirty X,Y co-ordinate Python scripting in
> ReportLab when the same guy using something like Datavision with Java (or
> Crystal) can turn out the same report in 6 or 8 hours.

The cost-benefit analysis here depends on how many times each report will be
(re)written, and how many reports will look very similar.  There was a
message (I think on this forum) a while back describing experiences in
having to tweak many reports, that had been written with something like
Crystal, into a common format -- it was a major pain with no leverage
between reports.  Like VB, creating reports via GUIs is nice and quick for
simple things, but it starts to turn nasty when you want to add the Nth
"feature" for some N.

--

Don Dwiggins			 I'm sorry for creating such a complex design,
                                  but I didn't have time to make a simple one.