Bug in RE's?

Robin Munn rmunn at pobox.com
Thu Oct 17 16:44:00 EDT 2002

In article <886c5e4b.0210170849.3d2c61d at posting.google.com>, Robin Siebler
wrote:
> I have a list of words that I need to search for in a large number of
> files.  I decided to put the patterns into one huge string and make an
> RE out of it.  However, at a certain point the RE stops working.  By
> this, I mean that the findall method does not return any matches for a
> line that contain matches.  If I recompile the RE, it works fine.  the
> RE always stops working in the same place and it always starts working
> again in the same place.  I have no idea why.  Has anyone ever seen
> this?  If this is a bug, where would I report it?

Why don't you give us more details so we can help to determine if this
is indeed a bug? What's the RE you're searching against? When you say
the RE "stops working in the same place and starts working again in the
same place" do you mean the same place in the RE or the same place in
the file you're searching?

If the RE and/or the example file(s) are short, post them here and we
can try to figure out what's going on. If they're long, you might put
them up somewhere and post a URL. It would also help if you would quote
the relevant line(s) from the file(s) where the RE starts and/or stops
working.

In other words: Details, please!

--
Robin Munn <rmunn at pobox.com>