how to suppress carriage return/line feed?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Oct 30 17:01:57 EST 2002

TuxTrax wrote:

> Erik, if you would, I would like to see an example of
> sys.stdout.write()
> and flush() in action, with a sample codelet. Thanks,

	import sys, time

	for i in range(10):
	    sys.stdout.write("Counting %s\r")
	    sys.stdout.flush()
	    time.sleep(1)

As I pointed out earlier, this still isn't a perfect solution; you're
not guaranteed that some terminals won't interpret '\r' (CR)
differently.  For instance, on a Mac, this would likely print each one
on a separate line.  On Windows and UNIX, it will likely work, but again
you could conceivably be using some terminal that does something
different.

If you really want total positioning control, you'll have to go with
some solution like curses (but that isn't available for Windows).

/  \ It's a man's world, and you men can have it.
\__/ Katherine Anne Porter
    Rules for Buh / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/cards/buh.html
 The official rules to the betting card game, Buh.