RTFM

Paul Sage psage at ncaustin.com
Wed Oct 23 10:12:15 EDT 2002

I wasn't sure what the purpose of your message here was.  New users of a
language sometimes don't know which resources to look at for their
questions.  If they found this one, best not put them off by acting
superior and telling them to RTFM.  I noted that you assumed, in your
FAQ, that new users have an intimate knowledge of the internet.  That is
likely not a safe assumption.

I see no reason a person learning Python, me, shouldn't feel free to ask
any question I like under any circumstances I like as long as it is on
topic.  The activity of this list makes it an attractive prospect to get
my question answered fast.  By nature, I try to look things up first, if
only because that is more efficient, not because there is some implied
courtesy in doing so.  I don't expect an answer at all, but then, I
don't expect an answer if I look something up and fail to find what I am
looking for.  My attraction to Python as a language is very much
influenced by the community, especially the friendly nature people here
demonstrate to struggling "newbies."  In fact, the ease and structure of
the language seems to encourage budding programmers to try it, so it
seems a violation of the heart of the language to suggest that people
not feel free to ask questions when in need.

This is a voluntary list.  You may elect to help someone or not.  If you
are getting fed up with new user questions, don't read them, if
possible, and don't answer them.  You certainly have every right to
state your opinion, but it isn't the way I feel.  If I felt qualified to
help someone, I certainly would and I am very appreciative of the people
on this list who have helped me.