[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry shalehperry at attbi.com
Tue Oct 8 12:21:19 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 09:12, Chris Watson wrote:
> I love the GNU "Play by my rules or i'm taking my toys and going home"
> attitude. It's so beneficial to humanity.
> If it was about passing on knowledge it would be in the public domain
> commons for the benefit of man. As someone stated earlier the GPL is a
> political statement. And we all know where politics get us.
>
> Chris

Perhaps you should read the recent article Lessig put out about "public
domain" software.  He basically states there is no piece of copyright law
which actually allows you to place a work in the public domain.  At least in
the US.  His statement is the closest thing is something like the BSD license
which also has the benefit of removing your legal liability in case of a
lawsuit.

Of course we could argue the pros and cons of GPL and other licenses all day,
would not get any of us very far though.