Solaris 64 bit compilation

Holden Caulfield phoebe_1 at
Tue Sep 24 19:41:21 CEST 2002

martin at (Martin v. Loewis) wrote in message news:<m3d6r7i9o0.fsf at>...
> phoebe_1 at (Holden Caulfield) writes:
> > > Please try to report failures carefully. It does not say sizeof(LONG),
> > > instead, it says SIZEOF_LONG. Which gives rise to the question: What
> > > value does SIZEOF_LONG have, in pyconfig.h?
> > >
> > cc -c -DNDEBUG -g -Xc xarch=v9 -xcode=pic32 -I. -I./Include
> > -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o Modules/p
> > ython.o Modules/python.c
> > "./Include/pyport.h", line 480: #error: "LONG_BIT definition appears
> > wrong for platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
> So what value has SIZEOF_LONG in pyconfig.h?
> How did you invoke configure? How did you manage to get -xarch=v9 into
> the compiler command line?
> Regards,
> Martin

My initial post was just a query to find out if python in 64bit mode
was available/compiled successfully by anyone.
To answer your questions:
  - pyconfig.h does say 8 as SIZEOF_LONG
  - I had hacked the Makefile as a initial pass to see where things
were and I
    posted to get an idea about it.

Since then, I have hacked the and added the option
--enable-solaris-64bit and regenerated the configure script. Now,
good news, it all builds fine. Except I am having a few problems with
modules these are:
  - 'curses' modules does not compile.
  - 'dbm' modules compiles fine but core dumps during test.
So, I disabled these modules in '' and built it and ran the
make test.
I had only two failures these are:

test test_time failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./Lib/test/", line 46, in test_mktime
    time.mktime, (999999, 999999, 999999, 999999,
  File "/apps/python/build/Python-2.2.1/Lib/", line 279, in
    raise self.failureException, excName
AssertionError: OverflowError
test test_gettext crashed -- exceptions.OSError: [Errno 20] Not a
directory: 'xx/LC_MESSAGES/'

I could probably live without them for now.

Are there any plans to support 64-bit python executable/module on
solaris platforms for future versions?
Is anyone even interested in the patches?