embeddable ide?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 4 19:19:05 EDT 2002

Stevek wrote:
> We're planning on making extensive use of Python to provide our users with a
> powerful scripting mechanism.  I've successfully embedded and extended
> Python but now I want to give the user a decent development environment for
> writing their scripts.

    The approach that is most likely to succeed is to take one of the
current IDEs and reshape it to fit into your application. Full IDEs are
quite complex beasts and so this will require quite a bit of effort and
learning. Open source IDEs like PythonWin or Boa Constructor would be
reasonable candidates although the commercial IDE vendors are also
likely to be open to approaches. As Gerhard says a major criterion is
that you should choose IDE code that uses the same UI toolkit as your
application.

    Creating a Python IDE component would be a very interesting but
difficult project. There are Visual Basic IDE components such as
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vba/default.asp
    An important issue in producing an IDE component is in defining a
reasonable scope for the component so that it allows a great deal of
flexibility but also allows the application to define limitations like
source code being stored within the application's database rather than
in files.

    Neil