jython memory usage

Samuele Pedroni pedronis at bluewin.ch
Wed Sep 4 13:52:15 EDT 2002

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
rnLbuKAv5jd9Ewzz at jessikat.demon.co.uk...
> In article <3d76366a$1_5 at news.bluewin.ch>, Samuele Pedroni
> <pedronis at bluewin.ch> writes
> >From: Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>
> >> A colleague has been running tests of reportlab under jython-2.1
several
> >> of the tests use prodigious amounts of memory (one even failed). We're
> >> using win2k+j2sdk1.4.0_01 as the jython engine.
> >>
> >> Anyone know what sorts of things cause x10 memory usage? I find one
> >> particular test needs more that 1Gb and then falls over for lack of
> >> memory.
> >
> >That means you are running jyhton through:
> >
> >java -mx1024m  -cp ...jython.jar org.python.util.jython ...
> >
> >and it uses all that memory and would need more?
> >
> >regards.
> >

> well actually we're running with the default jython.bat which doesn't
> seem to specify a memory, 1Gig is probably the default or maybe I ran
> out of page space. The python process never gets over 90Mb grrrhhhh.

then maybe I'm puzzled,

have you checked process memory usage or is just that you get
an "out of memory" and are estimating based on your total memory.

Because the normal jython.bat uses the JVM default which is
to scream "out of memory" after 64Mb of object memory has
been allocated, see -Xmx here

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/windows/java.html#options

regards.