Why Python?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Wed Sep 4 05:54:47 EDT 2002

Markus Jais wrote:
> hi
> one reason is that with every programming language you can learn new
> concepts.
> [...]
> the pragmatic programmers (http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com - very good,
> you should visit it) recommend to learn at least one new language every
> year.

I used to do that, too. But the last ones I tried to check out (Ocaml and
Dylan) didn't solve any of my real problems, so I came back to Python very
quickly. Ocaml didn't have enough libraries for me. And Dylan just doesn't
look mature enough.

> so maybe you should learn both PHP and Python (and Ruby, of course :-)

I'd skip PHP. But then, I'm biased. And proud of it :-P

-- Gerhard