PyQt setup on Linux Mandrake 8.2

dwelch dwelch91 at nospam.attbi.com
Sat Sep 21 10:33:00 EDT 2002

Armin Steinhoff wrote:
> dwelch <dwelch91 at nospam.attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3D8B4898.20808 at nospam.attbi.com>...
>
>>I would like to setup PyQt 3.4 on my Mandrake 8.2 box. I am having
>>difficulty, and I am worried that if I do the wrong thing, KDE will go
>>belly-up on me since it is Qt based.
>>
>>First, question is: why isn't QTDIR defined by default?
>>

> PyQt works with Qt2.x.x and Qt 3.x.x ... so YOU have to choose the
> correct directory.
>

>>Is QTDIR a
>>runtime setting or a development setting?
>>

> Both ..
>

>>So I set QTDIR to /usr/lib/qt2 (that seems to be where the libqt2 RPMs
>>files are). Next question is: Since I have libqt2 already on my system,
>>how do I add the Qt development pieces without screwing up Qt/KDE? Is
>>/usr/lib/qt2 even the correct location?
>>

> Yes ... if you want to use only the latest version of Qt 2.x.x
>

>>When I run SIP 3.4 build.py, it complains about tmake not being
>>available. Is tmake included with Qt2 development files?
>>

> It's available at the Trolltech homepage or its mirrors.
>

>>SIP doesn't
>>seem to have any docs, so I'm not sure how to proceed.
>>

> Nomally you haven't to care about SIP ..
>

>>Also, my RPM manager says that I have libqt2-devel (2.3.1-29mdk)
>>installed. No tmake listed in the files, though. And, PyQt-devel
>>(2.5-1mdk) is also listed as installed, but there aren't any .py files
>>included, only .sip files (I found this curious).
>>

> Corious ... there must be examples included.
>
> I would suggest to dowload the latest version of Qt from the Trolltech
> homepage, just for a simple and clean recompilation.
>
> And do the same with SIP and PyQt from the Riverbank homepage ...
>
> It seems to be better to forget that outdated stuff provided by the
> Mandrake distribution ...
>
> Armin
>

>>Installing software on Linux makes me feel like such an idiot!
>>
>>Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.
>>
>>Don

OK, I found and installed tmake. Now, SIP can't find some of the Qt
pieces it needs. So, I still don't understand the situation with Qt. Is
it really possible to install and run my applications that I write with
say Qt 3.0.5, when KDE on my system is using Qt 2.3.1? How does/would
KDE know which version to use? How will my apps know what version to
use? I am assuming there can only be one QTDIR active on a system at a
time...

Thanks for the help,

Don