Is Python 2.1 for Solairs 8 broke on SunFreeware?

yaipa yaipa at
Fri Sep 13 20:05:16 CEST 2002

I've downloaded Python 2.1 for Sparc Solairs 8 from Sunfreeware and run the
pkgadd to install it.  All seems fine until I try running a script that
works just fine with ActiveState's build of Python 2.1 for Solaris.  When
I run Python 2.1 from Sunfreeware, Python throws an import error on the
'time' module.

% /usr/local/bin/python -c cronTar.cfg
  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/export/fruid/bin/", line 26, in ?
      import time
  ImportError: /usr/local/bin/python: fatal: open failed: No such file or directory
Am I required to have gcc installed also?

Our deployment model strictly uses the Solaris pkgadd command,
so I require either Python 2.1 or 2.2 in a standard Solaris
package format.

Any ideas?