Facilities for accounting arithmetic (was: Python GUI app to impress the boss?)

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Wed Sep 18 08:34:38 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1032311543.27487.python-list at python.org>,
terry  <tg5027 at citlink.net> wrote:

>>> I'm willing to bet, though, that Python will be around for longer
>>> than VBScript.
>
>Cameron,
>
>I don't like to disagree with an icon, but I think that you are missing
>a deficiency in Python that will ultimatly limit it's usefullness in
>the vast majority of the software that is written in the world.
>
>As long as Python refuses to admit that money is the focus of most of
>the world's software, Python will be relagated to the same status as
>FORTRAN, BASIC, and etc - except COBOL and VB.
>
>Is there any way to get the Python world to allow for the processing of
>monetary applications without some hokey 60's constructs that involve
>in-line conversions or anticipations of calculation characteristics?
			.
			.
			.
If it helps, I have a soft spot for OS/400.  I spent the
early '80s writing BCD arithmetic packages in various
assemblers.

Terry, who needs disagreement more urgently than an icon?

You and others have raised this point before.  I haven't
taken it as seriously as I should, just because I know
that Microsoft and Sun (among others) are utterly unsympa-
thetic to it.  I need to ponder that ... anomaly (?) more.
Thanks for making an issue of it.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net