Stackless Python, eventual merge?

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 18 05:49:57 EDT 2002

Oren Tirosh <oren-py-l at hishome.net> writes:

> They may be dangerous in some circumstances. IIRC, if a C extension
> calls the Python interpreter recursively with pointers to things on
> its stack it can cause memory corruption.

Depends on your notion of "danger"; I usually associate it with fear
and uncertainty :-)

If you know it can crash when you do certain things, and you document
that limitation, there is no danger. There are already ways to crash
Python, the dlmodule being an example in the core distribution.

Also, readers should notice that your example requires Stackless to be
used: if no stackless module is imported, then accessing variables on
the stack won't cause memory corruption.

Regards,
Martin