Larry Wall's comment on python...

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Sep 10 18:49:22 EDT 2002

"Jack D. Hammer" <thisisabogusemail at bogus.thisisabogusdomain.com> wrote ...

> One good argument for having block delimiters is for embedded situations
like
> ASP.  One can conditionally put code into a block as such (ASP is rusty):

I can't help feeling that if ASP is the answer I'm asking the wrong question
:-)

> <%
> if (some_condition) {
> %>
> <%
> } // closing curly

I want to thank you for adding this valuable comment to your code. Without
it, I might have thought you were trying to close the parenthesis you
unopened above...

> %>
>
> I would think that for embedding python, having block delimiters would be
> beneficial.

Beneficial in the same way as giving $_ and $< and similar constructs
"meaning"? I use the inverted commas deliberately. They no longer have much
meaning for me. However, I do not deny the pragmatic value of the language,
not the value of the many pieces of software written in it.

If something works for us, we are entitled to use it. I just lost contact
with Perl when I looked at its object-oriented features. Of course, that may
not be Perl's fault. None of us is getting any younger.

[...]

I can't see "{%>" and "<%}" making it into the "Top 20 Delimiters" list,
perhaps I underestimate the pervasiveness of keyboard skills, of which I
have relatively few.

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com