Linker can't find library (PyProlog setup)

Robert Oschler Oschler at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 29 12:52:34 EDT 2002

I'm having trouble getting gcc/ld to 'see' the existence of a known shared
library.  I quadruple-checked and I do indeed have the files 'libtermcap.so'
and 'libtermcap.a' in my '/usr/lib/termcap' directory.  'gcc' is being
passed the following library directive '-ltermcap'.  I tried the following
'export' commands in my build script (the echoed results do indeed show
/usr/lib/termcap being properly added to the respective environment
variables):

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/termcap:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
    echo "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
    # run gcc command here

and I also tried:

    export PATH="/usr/lib/termcap:$PATH"
    echo "PATH=$PATH"
    # run gcc command here

and lastly, both:

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/termcap:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
    export PATH="/usr/lib/termcap:$PATH"
    # run gcc command here

In all three cases I still get a complaint from 'ld', 'cannot
find -ltermcap'.  What am I doing wrong?

thx