function pointer

James J. Besemer jb at cascade-sys.com
Fri Sep 13 01:42:33 EDT 2002

Gerhard Häring wrote:

>Broken quoting - yuck! Your newsreader is broken. Please repair it (using
>third party software) or make Usenet a better place by throwing away that
>crapware.

I believe this error occured when the line was wrapped by the
python-list mailer, not necessarily the submitter's newsreader or email
program.

>If we want to keep the terminology right, Python doesn't have variables. It
>has names and values.

The fact that The Tutorial and other Python doc uses the term "variable"
makes it confusing for newcomers.

It's doubly confusing, since the general definitions of a variable seems
to apply equally well to the corresponding Python thingies.

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/V/variable.html

    http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm?term=variable

So, what is the difference between a "name" and a "variable"?

Or is this merely a distinction without a difference?

Regards

--jb

--
James J. Besemer		503-280-0838 voice