function pointer

James J. Besemer jb at
Fri Sep 13 07:42:33 CEST 2002

Gerhard Häring wrote:

>Broken quoting - yuck! Your newsreader is broken. Please repair it (using
>third party software) or make Usenet a better place by throwing away that

I believe this error occured when the line was wrapped by the
python-list mailer, not necessarily the submitter's newsreader or email

>If we want to keep the terminology right, Python doesn't have variables. It
>has names and values.

The fact that The Tutorial and other Python doc uses the term "variable"
makes it confusing for newcomers.

It's doubly confusing, since the general definitions of a variable seems
to apply equally well to the corresponding Python thingies.

So, what is the difference between a "name" and a "variable"?

Or is this merely a distinction without a difference?

James J. Besemer		503-280-0838 voice
2727 NE Skidmore St.		503-280-0375 fax
Portland, Oregon 97211-6557	mailto:jb at