[Help]: mailbox classes

Jeff Davis jdavis at empires.org
Thu Sep 19 02:36:34 EDT 2002

Ok, I'll assume your using mbox format, but this is easily adapted for
maildir, etc.

import mailbox
mbox_file = '/path/to/mbox'

mbox_fp = open(mbox_file)
mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(mbox_fp)
msg = mbox.next()

there, now you have a message object (a rfc822.Message object, to be
exact). Now just import the rfc822 module and do whatever you need. You'll
probably want to use a loop to process all of the messages.

Regards,
        Jeff