Strange behavior of ClientCookie and site-packages

John J. Lee jjl at
Sat Sep 28 19:12:24 CEST 2002

On 19 Sep 2002, Brian Ibbotson wrote:
[...ClientCookie works from command line, but...]
> However, Idle for Python 2.2 cannot do the same. With an identical set
> of paths reported by sys.path, including the ClientCookie reference
> above, Idle reports:
>    >>> import ClientCookie
>    Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in ?
>        import ClientCookie
>    ImportError: No module named ClientCookie
>    >>>
> Can anyone suggest an explanation for this behavior? Other third-party
> modules installed to site-packages (such as ChartDirector and MySQLdb)
> have had no problems once they are included in sys.path

That's odd.  I don't use IDLE -- have you checked the IDLE docs for any
information about import peculiarities?  All ClientCookie does, as you've
no doubt seen, is to import the 'public' names from various modules into, so that they can be imported using

from ClientCookie import foo

rather than

from ClientCookie._some_obscure_module import foo

So you may be able to work around the problem by doing the latter (look in to see what import statements you need).

Perhaps you'd have better luck asking directly about IDLE's behaviour in
this case.  Let me know if it's something that can/should be fixed in

BTW, you'll have a much better chance of getting a prompt response from me
if you mail me questions about ClientCookie rather than (or in addition
to) posting them here -- I don't read very often now.