How to install informixdb-1.3 for python2.2 on RH7.3?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at
Fri Sep 6 08:45:29 CEST 2002

* J Dubal <dubal at> [2002-09-05 23:22 -0700]:
> Hello again!
> I managed to compile and install informixdb module manually for py221.
> However, when I import it in python2, it gives following error:
> ImportError: Cannot locate C core module for informix db interface.

Normally, I write a using Python's distutils in such cases,
however informixdb seems to use some sort of SQL preprocessor for the
ext/ file.

So, I'd try to perform the step with the SQL preprocessor manually, then
invoke "python build".

> If I try import _informixdb, it gives following error: ImportError:
> /opt/informix/lib/esql/ undefined symbol: stat

You need to link against a additional libraries. If the Informix
documentation is silent about this, I'd recommend to ldd on some client
utility of the database and add these libraries in the Makefile.

-- Gerhard