PyQt setup on Linux Mandrake 8.2

RA ralf_ahlbrink at web.de
Sat Sep 21 12:17:21 EDT 2002

On Sat, 21 Sep 2002 03:59:41 +0000, Armin Steinhoff wrote:
> dwelch <dwelch91 at nospam.attbi.com> wrote in message news:<3D8B4898.20808 at nospam.attbi.com>...
[Snip]

> I would suggest to dowload the latest version of Qt from the Trolltech
> homepage, just for a simple and clean recompilation.

Why not install a new compiler for a somewhat cleaner
recompilation. And a vanilla kernel...

Bulls..t
At least if you find that e.g. KDE is working stable. And Mdk 8.2
is _not_ that bad.

Unfortunately, Mandrake is somewhat more perl than python biased.

> And do the same with SIP and PyQt from the Riverbank homepage ...

Yes. You will need this, because the most recent RPMs are version
PyQt-3.1 and sip-3.3.2.
Take a look at <ftp-mirror>/Mandrake-devel/cooker/contrib for SRPM
files or http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/contrib-SPECS/
just for RPM spec files.

If you know a bit about RPM, perhaps you, dwelch, can manage
to update these packages (rpm -Uhv xx.src.rpm, a few changes ...,
rpm -ba SPECS/sip.spec).
Otherwise you could contact me. In about a week I've got time
to do this.

> It seems to be better to forget that outdated stuff provided by the
> Mandrake distribution ...

Mandrake's packages are predominantly rather new versions. But
see above.

> Armin
>

>> Installing software on Linux makes me feel like such an idiot!

The RPM  stuff (or DEB) has got real advantages compared to
"setup.exe".
And if the offered versions are outdated, fetch the
new source, learn from the (e.g.) sip.spec file somewhat about
the compilation, and make a new package!