newbie seeks advise.

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Sep 20 01:48:13 EDT 2002

akirasugiura wrote:

> I've been learning python for about a month. I had no prior knowledge
> of programming.
>
> My question is, I have a tuple which is, data = (69, 40, 74, 41, 56,
> 57, 38, 58, 26, 55). How I can make a function that picks up a largest
> number
> from this "data" tuple. If "data" was a  'List' I would be able to
> use "sort" but since sort doesn't  work with tuple. I am stuck here.

You could always convert the tuple to a list with the list function:

	data = (69, 40, 74, 41, 56, 57, 38, 58, 26, 55)
	dataAsList = list(data)

and then do what you intended.  Note that there is a max function which
already exhibits this behavior (which will work on any sequence):

	largest = max(data)

You could always do it manually; walk through the sequence, and keep a
tally of the largest one you've seen so far.

/  \ Man is preceded by forest, followed by desert.
\__/ (graffiti written during French student revolt)
    Bosskey.net / http://www.bosskey.net/
 A personal guide to online multiplayer first person shooters.