Limit number of concurrent threads

Chuck May cmay4 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 18:17:52 EDT 2002

Ok...I think I've got it.  Thanks for everyone's help.

How does this look:

from threading import Thread
import Queue, time, random

maxthreads =  5  # maximum number of concurrent threads
totalops   = 80  # hold total number of operations

class Worker(Thread):
    def __init__(self, q):
        Thread.__init__(self)
        self.q  = q

    def run(self):
        all_done = 0
        while not all_done:
            try:
                table = self.q.get(0)
                time.sleep(random.randint(10, 1000) / 1000.0)
                print "id %d" % table
            except Queue.Empty:
                all_done = 1

if __name__ == "__main__":