ANN: Thinking in Tkinter

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Wed Sep 11 21:49:13 EDT 2002

Stephen Ferg wrote:

> What I wanted to do, though, in "Thinking in Tkinter" was more of an
> explanation of the basic concepts that you need in programming with
> Tkinter.  From that standpoint, I think it is better to explain about
> binding -- that is, binding widgets, events, and callback handlers --
> by explaining "bind()".  Then, once the basic concepts are explained,
> I can note how "command" can be used as a labor-saving technique.

It might be better to start with some object
other than a button for the purpose of introducing the
concepts of event binding. Otherwise you're teaching
people an incorrect way of using buttons that they're
going to have to unlearn later.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,