ANN: Thinking in Tkinter

Greg Ewing see_reply_address at something.invalid
Thu Sep 12 03:49:13 CEST 2002

Stephen Ferg wrote:

> What I wanted to do, though, in "Thinking in Tkinter" was more of an
> explanation of the basic concepts that you need in programming with
> Tkinter.  From that standpoint, I think it is better to explain about
> binding -- that is, binding widgets, events, and callback handlers --
> by explaining "bind()".  Then, once the basic concepts are explained,
> I can note how "command" can be used as a labor-saving technique.

It might be better to start with some object
other than a button for the purpose of introducing the
concepts of event binding. Otherwise you're teaching
people an incorrect way of using buttons that they're
going to have to unlearn later.

Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,
Christchurch, New Zealand