finding last match in a file

Dag dag at animagicnet.no
Thu Sep 19 13:06:50 EDT 2002

I have a number of very large files where I have to find the last line
which matches a certain experssion.  Currently I'm simply opening the
file and looping through it noteing each time a line matches and at the
end of the loop I see which was the last match.  However this is very
slow and inefficient.  Is there some way to read through the file
backwards and simply find first match starting from the end of the file.
The files are really too big to read the entire thing into memory.

Dag