confusion about opening files

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at
Tue Sep 24 05:08:11 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "robie1373" <robie at>

> O. K. Now I am confused.  I thought that when I imported the
> os module, i would have to call its functions like this:
>    Why am I just using the function name? != open

open() is a builtin function, which "wraps" the C fopen()
function (more or less), returning a file object implemented on
top of stdio.h functions; "wraps" the C open()
function, returning a file descriptor for the
os.write()/ functions.

If the function you WANTED was, then you'd be right
about the behavior of imported modules.  However, what you want

Chris Gonnerman -- chris.gonnerman at