wxPython i18n, help wanted

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Sep 20 03:33:16 EDT 2002

Cedric Dutoit <dutoitc at hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to translate an application in Chinese with i18n, but
> I don't know how to display Chinese characters in wxPython.
>
> Can anybody help me ?

There are two aspects in your question: How do I translate
applications, and How do I display Chinese characters in wxPython.

For the first question, I recommend to use the Python gettext
module. If you are unfamiliar with gettext, I recommend that you read
the GNU gettext manual; Python gettext follows this model very
closely.

For the second question, in most wxPython installations, you can only
display characters supported in the current locale. E.g. if you are in
de_CH.ISO-8859-1 environment, you can only display German characters,
but not Chinese ones. You need to change your system to a zh_CN.gb2312
environment; then you can display chinese characters - you need to
encode the strings in gb2312 (these are Unix examples; on Windows, you
need to change the locale likewise - on W9x, you need a Chinese
edition of Windows).

Starting with wxPython 2.3.3.1, it supports, on Win32, a "Unicode
build". In that build, wxPython can display arbitrary Unicode strings;
the distribution contains an example that displays Korean among other
languages - it is not hard to deduce display of Chinese from that.  If
you are combining this with gettext, I recommend that you use the
ugettext function, which means that you need to have the proper codecs
installed.

HTH,
Martin