Python's import: why doesn't it work?

Jurie Horneman jhorneman at pobox.com
Sun Sep 29 17:26:53 EDT 2002

"Gerhard Häring" <gerhard.haering at gmx.de> wrote in message
> * Mahesh Padmanabhan <news at nospam.eml.cc> [2002-09-29 16:55 +0000]:
> > You need to create an empty file called __init__.py inside the
> > template directory and call the blah.py script as follows:
> >
> > import template.blah
>
> It's also highly recommended to start Python with "python -vv", then
> trying to import the module in question. This will show you where Python
> tries to find the module.

Actually, I just tried this in a DOS shell under Windows 98:

python -v script.py >output.txt

It lists the verbose output straight to the DOS shell, not to output.txt.
The output is useless, I can't scroll back.

Oddly,

python -h >output.txt

correctly sends the output to output.txt.

Does anybody know if this is a bug, and how I can work around it?

Jurie.