Computing directory sizes problem

Neophytos Michael nmichael at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 14:19:07 EDT 2002

loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de (Martin v. Löwis wrote in message news:<j4fzwjbjza.fsf at informatik.hu-berlin.de>...
> nmichael at yahoo.com (Neophytos Michael) writes:
>
> > Dear Python experts,
> > I wrote the following function to compute the size of a directory
> > (being new to python there maybe better ways to do this - if so please
> > advice).  It works quite well except when the directory in question
> > contains files whose names that are not made up of ascii (english)
> > characters (this typically happens on my machine for my non-english
> > mp3 files).
>
> What Python version are you using? What localized Windows version?
> What are the file names in question?
>
> If the file names are non-ASCII, it should still work - provided the
> file names are supported in the system locale (i.e. ANSI code page).
>
> It might be easiest to adjust your system locale.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Dear Martin,
Python version is 2.2.1.  Windows localized version I am not sure.
The laptop was purchased in the US so it must be the defaul US
version.  The filenames in question are mp3 files whose names are made
up from greek characters (at least I see them as greek when listing
the files with file explorer).  Any advice on how to adjust my system
locale would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neophytos