Python's import: why doesn't it work?

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Sep 29 12:47:20 EDT 2002

|Once again my attempt to profit from Python's vaunted productivity
|increase has come to a screeching halt because some innocent thing
|that one would reasonably expect to work in one line, intuitively, and
|without even having to think about, turns into a nightmare already
|lasting more than an hour, requiring numerous experiments, searching
|through the documentation - both manually and using my editor's
|find-in-files ...

Perhaps you would be happier using a different programming langauge (one
that works without consulting documentation, apparently).  I hear there
are a number of other languages out there.

Perhaps you should look into the standard documentation on import paths
(PYTHONPATH).  I'm not really sure why you would imagine for a moment
that any of those things you suggest would have any good effect....
Python is a programming language, not magical incantations that fulfills
vague wishes.

|Abject Defeat, Ask on Internet, Be Ridiculed by Peers for Not Managing
|Basic Operation

I would say that your post deserves ridicule.  Not because you ask about
"basic operation", but for its obnoxious and self-important tone.  You
catch more flies with honey than vinegar, y'know.

|import intro
|... and it would work. For real. The symbols were there. Not a peep
|out of the interpreter.

Yep. Almost surely that's because you tried it at some point with the
CWD in the same place as intro.py.

Yours, Lulu...

--
Keeping medicines from the bloodstreams of the sick; food from the bellies of
the hungry; books from the hands of the uneducated; technology from the