string reading bug in ActiveState Python 2.2 ?

Axel Kowald kowald at molgen.mpg.de
Tue Sep 3 04:40:29 EDT 2002

Hello,

I'm using ActiveStates Python 2.2.1 under win2000 to read in the
attached text file and it seems that python is only reading part of the
string. After

fp = open("bla.txt")
z = fp.read()
print len(z), z

I see that only 11 of the 15 characters have been read. I know they are
non-printable characters, but that shouldn't matter, should it ?  Using
another python on one of our unix machines everything works as expected
and all 15 chars are read in.  Is that there something special about
windows that I should know, or is this a bug in ActiveStates Python ?

Many thanks,

                   Axel Kowald