What does Python fix?

Henrik Motakef henrik.motakef at web.de
Sun Sep 29 05:55:14 EDT 2002

Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> writes:

> >Let's not forget that Python's syntax (most of all the significance of
> >whitespace) is considered strange at least by about all novices. In
> >both cases - significant whitespace and lots of irritating superflous
> >parentheses - people don't just get used to it, but tend to like it
> >after a while.
>
> I'm fairly sure that you meant to say "Lisp" where you said Python,
> right?

No, I'm talking about how newbies tend to react when you tell them
that block structure in Python is determined by indentation.

> It doesn't help that the number of big commercial Lisp compilers
> can be counted on the fingers of, err, one finger.

You must have funny fingers then, as the people working for Franz,
Xanalys and Corman will love to explain.

BTW, there aren't that many big commercial Python compilers out there,
and that doesn't seem to be too big a problem for the Python users. :)

Regards
Henrik