Python critical mass /turning point

Pierre-Yves Le Dirach ledirach at wanadoo.fr
Wed Sep 4 15:39:06 EDT 2002

X-No-archive:yes

If i dare adding a word, I think you forgot at least one reason among
"Suitability for commercial products" :

2.4) Human-readable and understandable source code (even for
non-techies);
Even if you could open a Perl program in vi (Notepad ?) and read it,
no non-techie could understand it at first sight (sometimes even
techies...;).
But the day my boss (not a programmer, but a marketing guy) had a look
on my Python source, he felt like he understood it. And most
"Microsoft-minded" bosses can't consider selling "understandable"
source to a client.

Closed-source companies...

Just my 2 cents.

P.