Skipping Parts of a For Loop

Michael Chermside mcherm at destiny.com
Mon Sep 16 12:22:13 EDT 2002

Andrew Henshaw wrote:
> While not really answering your question... In my opinion, it would be
> better to use a while loop for that purpose.  The code would be much
> clearer.

I agree with Andrew. I think the cleanest and most readable way to do it
would be as follows:

i = 0
while i < UPPER_BOUND:
    do_some_processing()
    if condition:
        i += AMOUNT_TO_SKIP
    do_more_processing()
    i += 1

It makes it very explicit that you are skipping several values of i, and
any programmer could read this code and understand what it's doing. It
would be even BETTER if you used a meaningful name for i (perhaps
"line_number", or "record_id"... use something appropriate to what
you're doing).

-- Michael Chermside