Using Python to call a DCOM server - "'Class not registered"

Thomas Jensen spam at ob_scure.dk
Sun Sep 8 03:42:25 EDT 2002

Mark Hammond wrote:
> Thomas Jensen wrote:
>
>> Is it safe to say that "ActiveX DLL" = InprocServer32 and "ActiveX
>> EXE" = LocalServer and that I need the later to use DCOM? (I have some
>> existing components that I'd rather keep as DLL - don't know why
>> really? :-)
>

> Yep.  InProcServer32 means that the COM object is implemented in a DLL,
> and loaded into the calling process.  LocalServer means it is an
> executable, and loaded into a separate process and IPC used across
> boundaries.  For DCOM, there is no way the object can be loaded into the
> same process, so executable based servers must be used.

Ok, I see. Then I guess the LocalServer approach has much more overhead
on local calls than InProc32?

Searching for "unregister localserver" I found your book "Python
Programming on Win32" on O'Reilly :-)
If I can find it in Denmark, I think I'll buy it!

/Thomas

--
Best Regards
Thomas Jensen