Why Python?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Sep 4 07:09:59 EDT 2002

RPM1 wrote:

> If you really want to get a feel for a language, read a fairly large
> program that somebody else has written in that language, (not
> just little snippets).
>
> Patrick

I'll tell you an anecdote. 100% authentic and meaningful.
Long time ago a friend of mine, a physicist, had to read, understand,
correct and extend a really huge program in Fortran, something within
the realm of High Energy Physics, with Monte-Carlo, modelling of
resonances, and other succulent stuff.

The suicide was not far, but finally he managed.
And then he told me:
  "What a disgusting, unreadable programming style!
   It was a nightmare to read all that!
   But now I became a competent, experienced Fortran programmer!"

And, yes..., he continued to program in Fortran for many years.

So, if somebody suggests that a newbie should learn "C" or assembler
just in order to appreciate the elegance of Python or other, even nicer
(yes, there are...) languages, beware. The result might be unexpected.

You know, I am a peaceful, animal-friendly guy who thinks that corridas
are a pure barbarism. But I refused myself the temptation to go and see
one, because I am afraid that, all philosophy apart, I may discover
that - after all - perhaps I adore the public slaughter of bulls?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France