a question about mailman

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Mon Sep 30 17:41:18 EDT 2002

[Martin v. Loewis]
> I'm not sure I understand this question: Do you want to add the URL of
> the list archive to the footer, or the URL for the specific message?

The URL for the specific message.

> Adding the URL for the entire archive is easy (it only varies with the
> list, not with the message), so I assume you want to add the URL for
> the message itself.

Correct.

> Yes, yes, and no. I believe the trick is that, at the point of sending
> the message, you cannot know the URL that the message will get in the
> archive. Finding out that URL is particularly tricky in presence of
> external archivers.

Hmm, when I glanced at the code it looked like the order of processing in
the pipeline was for the message to pass through the Archiver before the
Dispatcher, so I just simplistically assumed: 1) that the Archiver added
enough information to the message so that; 2) by the time the message got to
the Dispatcher, you'd have enough information to format a pseudo string like
this in the footer:

  %(base_archive_url)s/%(message_archive_relative_url)s

Sadly, I haven't installed Mailman yet, so I can't test my hypothesis.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

// mark